Wednesday, February 12, 2014

HOPE 2: Why are Hopefuls hopeful?


Well, about 4 years ago, we discussed why HOPE could change the world order. And then I disappeared for a brief period :-). Going forward, please trust me that I will try to be as regular as possibly I can be. I won't promise the frequency. But will try my level best to update my blog once in a week.

We said that we would discuss how HOPE can be leveraged to create POSITIVE EXPERIENCE and then Wealth. You may have to bear with me for some time before we discuss this piece.

Let us first understand what creates HOPE.

I believe HOPE is:

- Cultural

- Experiential

Well, both are not entirely independent and may feed into each other.

CULTURAL HOPE

When I was a small kid, I saw a beggar in the market. I asked my father why he was begging. When my father explained to me what beggary was and how poor he was, I asked him, "Why should he live?" My father said, "Because he believes that one day God will end his miseries and he would have a better life". I was also told that God helped everyone in pain and distress.

India is a culture where almost every individual believes "Bhagwan sab theek kar dega" (God will ensure that all the problems are fixed). This very belief ensures that we are Hopeful.  When nothing works, we surrender to God and believe he will take care of us. In our Gita (Hindu Mythological Literature), Lord Krishna has said, "Karmaneva dhikarsthe, maa faleshu kada chanam." (You have the right to do your duty and leave the result to God).

These religious philosophies and near blind faith has ensured that we always remain hopeful. So in some ways blind faith is helpful as well.

EXPERIENTIAL HOPE

I have divided Experiential Hope into:

- Childhood Experiences

- Organizational Experiences

- Social Experiences

Childhood Experiences

Well, let me take my own childhood experiences. I belong to a family of academicians. My parents are students of political science, as they describe themselves. During a fateful Diwali vacation we had gone to visit our relatives. When we returned, just before Diwali, we realised that everything was stolen except furniture that thieves could not carry with them. We did not have a single spoon left at home. We were well to do but not very well off. Next day as my father brought a few utensils and other important articles of immediate need, I very quietly asked him if we were going to celebrate Diwali that year and if we would buy crackers at all. To my surprise, my father not just responded in positive he was full of enthusiasm and excitement about Diwali celebration. That was my first brush with Hope even in dire circumstances. I never saw my parents lose hope even in the most adverse circumstances.

Organizational Experiences

Now if we were to consider organizational experience, when I joined Hindustan Petroleum as a young engineer, I was posted at Wadala Terminal.  The unions had made lives of managers miserable. This was a time when Datta Samant was active in Mumbai. I saw no end to these miseries and communicated my frustration to the Terminal Chief B D Seth, a 50 year old very dynamic manager. He asked me if I would work with him to solve this problem. Remembering my parents' never say no attitude, I was excited at the proposition and conveyed my acceptance. He explained to me his strategy of creating another union and dividing the power between the two unions to keep both of them at bay. I followed his instructions diligently and intelligently. It took us six months. But we succeeded. That was my first lesson in corporate sector "Never give up. There is always a way out of any seemingly hopeless situation".

Social Experiences

Coming to social experiences, I had a friend in my home town. He was in to edible oil retailing, His warehouse caught fire due to an electrical short circuit. The stocks were not insured. The building was insured. But the insurance company could find some clauses in the fine print and refused to pay any claims. He did not give up. His extended family and friends helped him with interest free loans to restart the business. In a matter of two years, he was a flourishing businessman again and he managed to pay off all the loans.

I think a combination of childhood, organizational and social experiences create HOPE. If one is hopeful he/ she fights hard to achieve his objectives. If one was to combine these experiences with culture that is hopeful in itself, you have a society where Hope will never die. That is India.

Next week we will talk of converting Hope into Experiences into Action and finally Wealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment